Nutrition is the total of everything taken into the body to sustain life and
Some experts teach that if the proper nutrition were maintained all age-related diseases would be eliminated.
What Is the Best Nutrition for the Human Body?
There is major controversy over what is the best nutrition.
Vegans maintain that only plant-based products should be consumed. They teach that all of the needed nutrients including proteins can be derived from plants.
Another group follows a high fat and high protein low carbohydrate nutrition plan. This group consumes large quantities of animal-based products.
There are many variations of these two basic diets.
There are some points that most nutritionists agree-on:
- Vegetables and fruits should make-up a major portion of human nutrition.
- Sugar produced from sugar cane and sugar beets should be eliminated.
- Hydrogenated oils and oils produced by heating grains or legumes should not be eaten or used to prepare foods.
- Highly processed grain products i.e. white flour should be avoided.
- Caution should be used with foods that cause allergies such as dairy products and peanuts.
- Fish should be included in the diet to provide Omega 3 fatty acid.
The colors of fruits and vegetables are indicators of the nutrients they contain
The best nutrition is a diet that contains a balance of vegetable fruits fat and a good source of protein and that the individual is comfortable following.
What Is the Difference between Nutrients and Nutrition?
Nutrients are the individual elements that each part of the body needs for good health. Most of our nutrients come from the digestion and break down of the food we eat. There are some nutrients produced by various organs in the body.
Nutrition is the overall benefits the body obtains from the nutrients it takes in. The nutrients are circulated throughout the body. As the nutrients are circulated individual cells absorb what they need to generate energy and perform other required functions.
The Eight Nutrients
Carbohydrates are sugars, starches, and fiber supplied by the plant-based food. Carbohydrates are a major source of the energy used by the human body. Fruits, vegetables, whole grains, nuts, and plant seeds are the sources of all carbohydrates.
There Are Two Types of C
The sugar fructose, glucose, and lactose are simple carbohydrates. Sugar is absorbed directly into the blood and is converted into energy by the cells. Excess sugar is converted to fat and stored in the body for future use. Excess fat stored in the body for long periods of time causes obesity.
- Fructose comes from fruits. Fructose is good for your health when eaten as whole fruit.
- Glucose, common table sugar, is produced by processing the juice from sugar cane and sugar beets.
- The process used to produce glucose removes all the nutrients.
- Glucose is the primary cause of diabetes.
- Lactose is the sugar found in milk. Some people are lactose-intolerant and cannot consume milk products.
Starches are complex carbohydrates. Starches come from the leaves, stems seeds and roots of vegetables. Carbohydrates are converted into sugar. The conversion of starch into sugar is a slow process which allows the body’s cells to use it more efficiently to produce the energy they need.
Protein is an important nutrient needed by every cell in the body. Protein is critical in building and maintaining body tissue. We get protein from meat, eggs, dairy products, and vegetables i.e. beans.
- Hair and nails are made up primarily of protein.
- Protein is a major component of muscles, bones, organs, skin, and blood.
- The body uses protein to create enzymes, hormones, and other chemicals needed to maintain good health.
Fat is the oily or greasy nutrient in our food. The sources of fat in our diet comes from vegetables and meats (beef, pork, chicken, turkey, lamb, and fish).
Our body uses fat to aid in the absorption of some vitamins and other micronutrients. It converts some fat into energy and stores the rest for future use.
When the body runs low on energy it takes some of the stored fat and converts it back to sugar to fill the needed energy.
Fiber is the indigestible part of the fruits and vegetables that we eat. Although fiber is indigestible, it still serves a useful function in the body. Fiber is the bodies cleaning system. Fiber attaches itself to the bodies waste products and absorbs water. The fiber then carries the waste out of the body.
Approximately 60%, by weight, of the body is water.
Water serves five vital body functions:
- The major component of blood.
- Carries nutrients and oxygen through out the body.
- Provides moisture to every cell in the body
- Helps lubricate parts of the body
- Regulates and controls the body’s temperature
- Dissolve and carries out body waste
Every cell in the body uses oxygen to convert nutrients into the energy it needs to perform its function.
Four Benefits of Good Nutrition
- Weight Control
- Healthy Blood Pressure
- Prevents Diabetes
- Prevents Heart Disease
What Is the Best Nutrition for Humans?
The best nutrition is a diet that contains a balance of vegetables, fruits, fat, a source of proteins and the individual is comfortable following.
Trans fats, refined sugar, and white flour should be eliminated to achieve a healthy diet.